Sunday, August 14, 2011

Midnight in Paris

I saw the movie Midnight in Paris today and there was something in that movie that spoke to the romantic in me. Owen Wilson's Gil was in modern Paris, but was longing for the Paris of the 1920's. Through the magic of the movies he was transported to 1920's Paris. Gil has a blast meeting the great artist and writers of that time like Ernest Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, Picaso, and Dali. He also meets a young woman named Adriana, and ironically she longs for the Paris of the 1890s when the impressionists were knocking around. Adriana's complaints about 1920's Paris were very similar to Gil's complaints about Paris of 2010. It brings to life of how you can romantic notions about times and/or places. However the romantic notions about something usually involve a perfect life where an artist spends all day working on his art and does not have anything to deal with anything other than being an artist. But when you think about it is often the day to day battles of life are the things that will drag you down and makes life hard. Gil was making a living as a Hollywood screen writer but longed to be a novelist preferable living in Paris. I can so relate to those feelings, and when I was studying art history, I could the idea of living in 1890s. This movie made me think about those notions and made me appreciate being in the here and now. I see the place I am currently in a new light and I want to make the best use of the time I have now. In addition to enjoying the movie, I feel like I learned something today. Thanks Woody.

No comments:

Post a Comment