Monday, August 15, 2011

Dexter vs Breaking Bad

There two shows I enjoy very much that explore the darker side of things. Dexter the story of blood expert who is also a serial killer who hunts serial killers and Breaking about the story of Walter White a high school chemistry who finds out that when he is dying of cancer starts making crystal meth with a former student Jesse Pinkman.

I really liked Dexter in the early season, Michael Hall does an excellent job in the roll however I think the show has developed a formula for each season and other than some for variation from season to season it has fallen into a pattern of sorts. I think I have just become a little bored with the show, They can still throw some wrinkles in but I think it is about to start wrapping it up. There are only so many variations that they can come up with for Dexter.

I have really enjoyed Breaking Bad from start. We see progression of Walter White from teacher dying of cancer to crystal meth maker. One of the things I really like about it, is that while Walter has changed in a lot ways there are still some aspects of the character hasn't changed. There is a fascinating study of how an otherwise law abiding citizen who was stuck in a dead end job to becoming of the best makers of meth. Bryan Cranstron does a superb job of giving Walter all the complex layers. It is looking like the show will run a couple more seasons and I will be curious to see where the show ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment