Monday, November 8, 2010

Caught in a Frame

The gay bar down the street from me Backstreet was shut down again this past weekend. Apparently people had been doing drugs in there, selling alcohol after 3 AM and serving alcohol to minors. ABC 24 came around and talked to people in the neighborhood about what they thought about it. I talked to the lady reporter answered her questions, and then that night Dabney and I watched the 10 PM newscast. It must have been a slow news day in Memphis because that was the lead the story. They framed the story in the most negative way they could, emphasizing the drugs and all the bad things. They did use a clip of me and I was saying they did do drugs down there, but they didn't use where I said they don't bother me and long as it stays in their parking lot they can do whatever they want. Looking back on it, I should have known that is what they were looking for. They asked if I knew about Backstreet getting shut down and when I said it was probably because of drugs the reporter got excited and asked if I would say that on the air. It is very interesting to me that it appears the reporter had already written her story before she left the building, and instead of actually getting reaction from the neighbors, she used video and statements that just supported her thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment